or the field pole shoes. Replace a defective generator.
(4) Inspect and replace brushes as instructed in d below.
d. Brush Replacement.
(1) Remove the brushes from the generator as instructed on figure 35.
(2) Inspect the brushes for worn or chipped condition. Replace brushes if worn to less than one-half inch in
length. Inspect the armature commutator for burning, grooving, out-of-round, and high mica between segments.
(3) Install new brushes on the generator in reverse of instructions on figure 35.
(1) Install the generator and mounting bracket on the engine in reverse of instructions on figure 34.
(2) Install the generator regulator (par. 83), if removed.
a. On-equipment Test.
(1) Connect a heavy jumper lead across the large terminals on the starter solenoid.