ENGINE REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS
Section I. CLUTCH ASSEMBLY
(2) Inspect the shaft and keys for burrs,
scoring, or damaged threads.
The clutch assembly is an overcenter, dry disk, hand-
A flywheel mounted on the engine
(3) Inspect the clutch facing for worn or broken
crankshaft provides a contact surface for the clutch linings
teeth, cracks, wear, or oil soaked condition.
on the clutch plate. The flywheel is increased in a
housing that is secured to the crankcase. The clutch
(4) Replace seals and gaskets.
housing is secured to the flywheel housing.
37. Clutch Assembly RemovaI and Disassembly
(5) Inspect hub and plates for cracks or breaks.
(6) Inspect the yokes for cracks or breaks.
(1) Remove the main drive guard and belts
(7) Replace or repair all defective parts as
39. Clutch Assembly Reassembly and Installation
(2) Refer to figure 7 and remove the clutch
assembly from the engine.
the clutch assembly in the reverse order.
the clutch assembly.
Note. When reassembling the bearings (44 and 45,
figure 8) the end play of the shaft should be 0.003 inch.
38. Clutch Assembly Cleaning, Inspection and Repair
a. Cleaning. Clean all parts with an approved
cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
(1) Refer to figure 8 and install the clutch
assembly on the engine.
b. Inspection and Repair.
(2) Install the main drive guard and belts (TM-
(1) Inspect the bearings and cup for wear, pits,
(3) Adjust the clutch assembly (TM 5-8820-
AGO 8456 A