(2) Remove brush terminal screw, life brush arm
4-36. Electrical System
and remove brush. Repeat for other brushes. (3)
a. The DC battery-charging circuits consist of a
brush arm and install new brush. Secure lead with
generator, reguator, battery and wiring. Refer to figure 1-
Repeat for other brushes, always replace
3 for wiring diagram. These components functioning
together produce electricity for the electrical equipment
(4) Seat brushes using a seating hone or No. 00
on the machine, except for the marker lamps which use
truck power to operate. In the event of failure or
(5) Position cover band and tighten screw.
improper operation it is essential to check the entire
electrical system. A defect in one component can cause
damage to an- other.
Polarize generator as instructed in
generator fan belts.
(1) Inspect for cracked or broken housing.
(2) Inspect electrical receptacle connector and
bow for cracked or broken position.
(3) Check brushes for excessive wear.
c. Installation. Install generator in reverse order
Figure 4-23. Generator brush replacement.
4-38. Generator Regulator
(1) The generator regulator is a water-tight, dust
proof, fungus and corrosion resistant unit. This unit is
used only with generators having an externally ground
(2) The three unit regulator consists of a cut out
12. Bolt proof,
voltage regulator and a current regulator in a single
13. Spacer is use
3. Fan and pulley assembly
15. Bolt (2
(3) The cut out relay is designed to close the
circuit from the generator to the battery when generator
voltage is sufficient to charge the battery, and to open
18. Lockwasher mount
19. Washer (3
the circuit when the generator slows or
20. Strap circuit
(4) The voltage regulator is a limiting device
which prevents the generator voltage from exceeding a
predetermined maximum. With voltage limited, the
generator supplies varying amounts of current to meet
Figure 4-22. Generator, removal and installation.
the requirements of varying states of battery charge and
d. Generator Brush Replacement.
(1) Loosen screw and slide cover band forward.