4-47. Engine Clutch Adjustment
4-48. Clutch Controls Engine to Plant
a. General. Clutch adjustment should be made
before slippage occurs to insure longer facing life and
clutch controls as follows:
better clutch performance. Frequency of adjustment
(1) Disconnect universal joint from power unit.
depends on nature and amount of load. Adjust clutch as
(2) Remove clutch control shaft.
(1) Disengage clutch with hand lever.
(1) Inspect the universal joints for excessive
(2) Remove inspection hole cover to expose
wear or damage.
(2) Inspect the control shaft for bends or
(3) Rotate clutch until clutch adjusting ring lock is
(4) Raise adjusting ring lock out of splined
clutch control in the reverse order or removal.
groove in hub of outer pressure plate. Holding the clutch
drive shaft from turning, turn clutch adjustment ring
clockwise and tighten until the desire pressure (75 lbs.)
on the outer end of the hand lever is obtained. Reinstall
the adjusting ring lock in groove.
(5) Install inspection hole cover.
b. Service. The clutch throw out bearing should be
lubricated through the grease fitting at the side of clutch
housing every eight hours.
Figure 4-33. Engine clutch adjustment.
Figure 4-34. Engine clutch controls, removal and