jack points before removing the wheel assemblies.
The dolly consists of the following sub-assemblies axle,
wheel, tire and brake assemblies as follows:
dolly frame, springs, pull tongue, dual tires wheels,
brakes, fifth wheel, flexastik, jack support and the air
remove wheel assembly (2) from hub (14).
(2) Deflate tire air pressure and remove tire (3) (TM
4-82. Flexastik and Jack Support
(3) Remove bolt (5) and remove hub cap (7) from
a. Removal and Disassembly. For removal and
disassembly of the flexastlik and jack support refer to
(4) Remove outer spindle nut (9) and inner spindle
nut (11 ) from axle.
b. Inspection. Inspect the flexastik and jack support
(5) Remove the brake drum (12).
for damage and worn parts. Replace a defective part.
(6) Remove hub stud (13) and remove the hub (14).
(7) Remove the inner and outer cone bearings (15
and reassemble and install the flexastik and jack support
and 18) from hub (14).
in the reverse procedure of removal.
(8) Remove nut (20), washer (21) and bolt (22).
(9) Remove slack adjuster assembly (23) and re-
4-83. Fifth Wheel
move the brake assembly (24).
(10) Remove screw (25) and remove dust shield (26)
fifth wheel as follows:
from brake assembly.
(1) Place release lever handle (29; in unlocked
(11) Disconnect rod assembly and remove the air
chamber assembly (27).
(2) Remove bolts (1), washers (3) and nuts (2)
securing fifth wheel assembly (38) and base (39) to dolly
(1) Inspect tire (4) for excessive wear or cuts.
Replace a defective tire (TM 9-1870-1).
( 2) Inspect the wheel (2) for damage.
disassemble the fifth wheel in numerical sequence.
(3) Inspect the brake drum (12) for cracks and
c. Reassembly. Reassemble in reverse order of
(4) Inspect the bearings (15 and 18) for damage and
inspect the bearing cups (16 and 19) for scoring and
fifth wheel in reverse order of removal.
(5) Inspect slack adjuster (23) and air chamber (27)
4-84. Pull Tongue, Safety Chain and Mud Flap
for damage and proper operation.
(6) Inspect brake assembly (24) for excessive wear.
pull tongue, safety chain and mud flap.
(7) Inspect all hardware for damage.
(8) Replace all defective parts.
(1) Inspect pull tongue (41, fig. 4-78) for damaged
brake assemblies, tire and wheel in reverse order of
(2) Inspect safety chain for cracked or broken
coupling link (43) or a damaged hook (44).
d. Adjustment. Adjust brakes as follows:
(3) Inspect mud flap (48) for missing mounting
(1) Turn adjustment stud end of slack adjuster worm
shaft until the brake drags.
(2) Turn stud slowly in opposite direction until brake
tongue, safety chain, and mud flap.
drum is free of drag.
(3) Lower unit and road test for brake balance.
4-85. Dolly Tires, Wheels and Brake Assemblies
The dolly must be blocked up with support stands under