filled with clean soft water and a good rust inhibitor.
3-8. By-Pass Oil Filter Element
b. Inspect and Clean.
a. General. The oil by-pass filter element should be
(1) Drain cooling system.
changed every time the engine oil is changed. The by-
(2) Remove dirt, scale and other deposits.
pass oil filter is located on the upper right side of engine.
(3) Check core tubes for leaks.
(4) Refill with clean soft water. Refer to TB ORD
remove the by-pass oil filter element Discard the element
3-10. Fan Assembly and Fan Belts
c. Cleaning and Inspection.
a. General. Fan blades must be sufficient distance
(1) Wash the shell thoroughly with fuel oil and
from the radiator core to ensure the blades will not
damage the core.
(2) Inspect the shell for cracks.
b. Inspection. Inspect the fan assembly for loose or
(3) Inspect the cover for cracks or damage.
d. Filter Element Replacement.
(1) Install a new element in shell.
replace a defective fan belt.
(2) Install a new gasket in recess of the cover.
d. Belt Adjustment.
(3) Place shell and element in position with cover.
Use a new gasket over the shell bolt.
(4) With the shell and gasket in position, tighten the
fan belt to 1/2 to 3/8 inch deflection mid- way between
shell bolt to prevent oil leakage.
(5) Start engine and check for oil leaks.
belt to 1/2 to 83 inch deflection midway between
a. General. The radiator assembly is bolted to the
front of the engine base. The cooling system should be
B. Fan drive belt.
Figure 3-3. Fan belt, removal, installation and adjustment.