(4) The voltage regulator is a limiting de- vice which
4-39. Polarizing The Generator
prevents the generator voltage from exceeding a
a. Disconnect the field lead at the regulator and
With voltage limited, the
momentarily connecting a jumper lead between the
generator supplies varying amounts of current to meet the
generator field terminal and the regulator battery terminal.
requirements of varying states of battery charge and
b. Remove the jumper lead and connect field lead to
(5) The current regulator is a current limiting
device which prevents the generator from exceeding its
The engine generator must be polarized
whenever the leads to the generator or
regulator have been removed or any
the generator regulator.
adjustments have been made to the generator
4-40. Batteries, Cables and Battery Box
generator after leads are connected but before
the engine is started.
(1) Remove the battery cover.
reverse order of removal.
and battery box.
b. Cleaning, Inspection and Repair.
(1) Clean batteries, cables and battery box in an
approved solvent (NaHCO3) (sodium bicarbonate).
(2) Inspect the batteries for cracks, leaks or other
damage. Replace a defective battery as necessary.
(3) Inspect the cables for frayed insulation, broken
wires, bent or broken lugs, and other damage. Repair or
replace damaged cables as necessary.
(4) Inspect the battery box for cracks, breaks or
other damage. Repair or replace a dam- aged battery box
c. Installation. Install the battery box, batteries and
cable in the reverse procedure.
Figure 4-24. Generator regulator, removal and installation.