figure 21-2 (1)- continure
(8) Remove air cleaner brackets, tachom-
(3) Use indicator and check the flywheel
eter, overspeed governor, throttle control and
linkage from the flywheel housing (Opera-
(9) Remove the two bolts securing the
zero at the twelve o'clock position. Then, ro-
engine lifter bracket to. the cylinder head:
tate the crankshaft one full revolution, taking
readings at 45 intervals (8 readings each of
the flywheel housing bore and bolting
c. Disassembly. Disassemble the flywheel
flange face). Stop and remove the wrench or
housing in the numerical sequence as illus-
cranking bar before recording each reading to
ensure accuracy. The maximum total indicator
d. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair
reading must not exceed .013 inch for either
(1) Clean all parts with an approved
the bore or face.
cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
(4) Remove the bolts holding the lifter
(2) Inspect ring gear for broken or
bracket to the flywheel housing. Install a new
cracked teeth. If replacement is necessary, re-
gasket to the bracket, then alternately tighten
move gear from flywheel with a blunt chisel.
the bracket-to-flywheel housing and bracket-
Install a new ring gear by heating to expand
to-cylinder head bolts, thus drawing the
it and pressing it onto the flywheel.
bracket into the corner formed by the cylinder
head and housing.
Caution. Overheating to temperature
(5) Install the oil pan (para 43).
above 400F. will soften the gear.
(6) Install the power take-off assembly
(3) Inspect flywheel housing for cracks
and other damage. Replace a damaged fly-
(7) Refer to the Operator's Manual and
overspeed governor, throttle control and link-
Note. Remove all old gasket material from the
flywheel housing and end plate before installing a
new gasket and the housing.
(8) Refer to the Operator's Manual and
install the starter.
e. Reassembly. R e a s s e m b l e t h e f l y w h e e l
(9) Refer to the Operator's Manual and
and flywheel housing in the reverse of the
install the hoods, side panels, and tie rods.
numerical sequence as illustrated on figure
(10) Refer to the Operator's Manual and
install the muffler and air cleaner.
flywheel housing. Follow the bolt tightening
48. Crankshaft Pulley and Front Cover
a. General The crankshaft pulley is located
on the front of the crankshaft outside of the
flywheel. Refer to para 4 for torque data.
cylinder block. The cooling fan and battery