(6) Remove the fan and hub assembly
(7) Remove the cylinder head (para
(8) Remove the flywheel and flywheel
housing (para 47).
(9) Refer to figure 27-1 and remove the
balance weight cover.
(10) Refer to figure 27-2 and remove the
(11) Refer to figure 27-3 and remove the
camshaft and balancer shaft assemblies.
c. Disassembly. Disassemble the camshaft
balancer shaft and idler gear assembly in the
(6) Refer to table 1 for tolerance and
numerical sequence as illustrated on figure
d. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair
(7) Inspect the gears for chipped teeth
(1) Clean all parts with an approved
and wear. Replace damaged or excessively
cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
(2) Inspect the cams and journals for
scoring or wear. Replace an excessively scored
d. Reassembly. Reassemble the camshaft
or worn camshaft.
and balance shaft in the reverse of the nu-
(3) Inspect the thrust washers for
merical sequence as illustrated on figure 27-
scoring or wear, and replace as necessary.
(4) Inspect bearings and bushings for
wear or other defects. Replace excessively
marred or worn bearings and bushings.
(1) Aline the timing marks (O-O and
(5) Measure clearance between camshaft
R-R) and install the camshaft and balancer
journals and the intermediate bearings (table
shaft assemblies as instructed on figures
1). Replace the bearings if they exceed the