(6) Support bearing end of pump shaft on
an arbor press and press impeller onto the shaft. Press
(1) Reassemble the governor and
until face of impeller hub is flush with the end of the
governor assembly in the reverse of the numerical
(7) Rotate pump shaft by hand to be sure
(2) When reassembling bearing (15) and
impeller does not contact pump body.
drive shaft (16), support bearing on the bed of an arbor
(8) Install new pump cover gasket. Slide
press, and press drive shaft into bearing until shoulder
the pump cover over studs and secure the pump body
of shaft is against the bearing.
(3) To reassemble bearing (77), sleeve
(9) Install drain cock.
(76), and driven shaft (78), start bearing on shaft
followed by the sleeve. Properly support sleeve on the
Installation. Refer to Operator's Manual.
bed of an arbor press, and press shaft into bearing and
35. Hydraulic Governor and Governor Drive
Installation and Adjustment.
Refer to the
(1) The hydraulic governor regulates the
36. Fuel Pump
engine speed under varying load conditions, and serves
as an automatic shutdown device when there is a
malfunction in the lubricating oil pressure system.
General. The fuel pump) is mounted on the
Should the engine fail to supply oil to the governor, the
rear of the blower assembly and is driven by the lower
servo motor piston will drop, allowing the fuel rod to
blower rotor. The fuel pump draws fuel from the supply
return to the NO FUEL position.
tank and delivers it at correct pressure to the fuel
(2) The governor is driven by the upper
blower rotor through a horizontal drive shaft and bevel
Removal. Refer to the Operator's Manual.
gear, and a vertical driven shaft and bevel gear. Both
Disassembly. Disassemble the fuel pump
are mounted on ball bearings and located in the
in the numerical sequence as illustrated on figure 16.
governor drive housing.
Removal. Refer to Operator's Manual.
Disassembly. Disassemble the governor
Use extreme care when removing
and governor drive assembly in the numerical sequence
drive shaft as score marks on the
square end of shaft will damage the
Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair
oil seal contact surface.
(1) Wash all parts with an approved
cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
Cleaning, Inspection. and Repair
(2) Inspect pilot valve plunger for
(1 ) Clean all of the parts with an
scratches or burrs. Defective areas may be corrected
approved cleaning solvent and dry them thoroughly.
with a fine India stone.
(2) Inspect oil seals for nicks and cracks.
If oil seals are removed, they must be
Do not round off edges of plunger
discarded and replaced with new seals.
when dressing it with the India
(3) Inspect pump shafts and gears for
weal or scoring. The driven shaft is serviced as a gear
(3) Inspect servo motor piston for scratches or burrs.
and shaft assembly only. Replace defective parts.
Correct defective areas with a fine India stone.
Inspect pump body and cover for
scoring or other damage.
Replace defective or
damaged pump body or cover.
Do not round off edges of piston
(5) Inspect relief valve for scoring and
when dressing it with the India
burrs. If valve is scored and cannot be cleaned up with
fine emery cloth or crocus cloth, replace the valve.
Inspect drive coupling fork for wear
or other damage. Replace defective coupling.
(4) Inspect oil pump gears and gear teeth
(7) Test valve retaining spring. Apply a
of drive and driven shafts for scoring, chipping or wear.
load of 7.1 pounds to 7.5 pounds to the spring. The
Replace defective parts.
spring should compress to a length
(5) Inspect drive and driven shafts for
scoring and wear. Replace a defective shaft.
(6) Inspect all bushings and bearings for
distortion, wear, pitts, scoring, or wear.
defective bushings and bearings.