(2) Inspect the bearing housing bores for nicks,
Gears should be replaced in matched
burrs, out-of-round, or oversize. Replace a defective
pairs only. Single gear replacement
will cause excessive backlash.
(3) Inspect seals for wear or damage, and
replace if necessary.
(6) Inspect the shaft housing for excessive
(4) Inspect bearings for wear, chipping, or
damage, and repair or replace as necessary.
nicks. Replace a defective bearing.
(7) Replace all gaskets.
(5) Perform a magnetic inspection of gear and
shafts. Inspect for wear, pitting, chipping, nicks, cracks,
(8) Inspect gear case cover breather to see
or scoring. Replace a defective gear or shaft.
that it is clean and open.
(9) Prefit all parts before reassembly, except
the bearings, and remove any imperfections that might
impair proper seating of parts.
g. Vibrator Unit Reassembly.
(1) Install and position the shafts as shown on
(4) Push the inner rotating seals (drive side)
onto both shafts until they seat firmly against the eccentric
part of the shaft (fig. 4012).
Do not use oil or lubricant in the
grooves of the seals as lubricant will
prevent proper seating of the seals.
(5) Install the drive shaft and driven shaft
Figure 40-7. Gear removal
bearings (drive side) in a similar manner as discussed in
step 68a. above.
(6) Install bearing spacer into the drive shaft
and driven shaft bearing housing bores, gear side (fig.
Figure 40-8. Bearing reassembly, drive side.