If machine is to be stored for any period or indefinite
length of time (MAXIMUM 6 months), perform the
following service functions.
1. Store machine in dry area with wheels on
blocks and blade lowered onto blocks. Put gear
levers in neutral position.
2. Steam clean entire machine, paying special
attention to engine and wheels. If wheels are not
properly cleaned, built-up material may harden and
result in broken cleaner teeth.
3. Complete full maintenance checks. Include
checking all fluid levels,
protection, grease all fittings, and lubricate control
4. Drain any water from fuel system. Fill fuel
Protecting Dozer Cylinder Rod
5. Operate engine until thoroughly warm. Stop
engine, shut fuel tank drain cock and disconnect fuel
OUT OF STORAGE SERVICE
lines to engine fuel filter and injector drain line. Fill
To prepare a stored machine for service:
one with diesel fuel (refer to
1. Clean any accumulated dirt from exterior of
engine. Remove covers and tape.
second with preservative oil US Military Spec MIL-L
2. Use suitable cleaner to remove rust
preventive compound from engine and machine
Daubert Chemical Co., Nox-Rust No. 518 or
3. Change engine oil and filter.
Start engine with fuel line to filter using diesel
4. Flush and refill cooling system. Use a
fuel with injector drainline flowing into same
suitable antifreeze with rust inhibitor added if
container. After engine is running smoothly, switch
Do not use antifreeze with antileak
engine for five to ten minutes on preservative oil,
5. Reinstall and reconnect batteries.
then stop engine and reconnect fuel lines.
6. Complete full maintenance checks. Include
Brush or spray rust preventive compound
checking all fluid levels, grease all fittings and
conforming to Type P-2, Grade 1 or 2, US Military
Spec MIL-C-16173C on all exposed, unpainted
7. Bleed fuel system. Open fuel tank drain
Spray lubricating oil into intake manifold while
8. Release handbrake. Start engine and warm
cranking engine slowly.
up as recommended (refer to PRESTART AND
Cover all engine openings with heavy paper and
STARTING PROCEDURE and WARM-UP CHECKS
tape. Bar engine crankshaft two or three revolutions
in OPERATION MANUAL).
each three or four weeks.
6. Set parking brake.
7. Remove batteries; store in warm place and
recharge every 6 months.
8. Brush or spray rust preventive compound on
chrome and polished surfaces-gauges,
9. Remove key and close starter switch
protector cap. Cover seat and entire operator station
with tarp if available.
10. Tag machine as "IN STORAGE" and include