COLD WEATHER BATTERY MAINTENANCE
4. Use starting aids as instructed when starting.
The following instructions aid in obtaining maximum
5. Use booster batteries as required. Connect as in-
performance in cold weather:
1. After adding make-up water, charge the battery.
The added water will dilute the electrolyte. This
CONNECTING A BOOSTER BATTERY
will lower the specific gravity of the solution, raise
the freezing point of the solution and lower the
1. Using a pair of jumper cables, connect the red
charge of the battery.
jumper cable to the "hot" terminal of the 12 Volt
2. Connect the black jumper cable to the ground termi-
nal of the booster battery.
Keep the red and black cable terminals from
touching each other.
3. Connect the other end of the red jumper cable to the
"hot" terminal of the engine battery.
4. Connect the other end of the black jumper cable to
the ground terminal of the engine battery.
5. Start the engine using starting aids as instructed.
2. Keep the batteries fully charged either by
REMOVING JUMPER CABLES
operating the charging system or by using a
As soon as the engine starts:
3. Keep the electrolyte warm when the battery is not
in use. The heat from an electric light bulb
1. Disconnect the black jumper cable from the engine
usually is sufficient.
battery ground terminal.
2. Disconnect the red jumper cable from the engine
battery "hot" terminal.
3. Disconnect the black jumper cable from the booster
Do not lay cloth or any flammable material
4. Disconnect the red jumper cable from the booster
in contact with a lighted bulb. Charring, or
fire, can result.
5. Disconnect the booster batteries. Charge them to
full capacity with a battery charger.