3208 INDUSTRIAL AND MARINE ENGINES
DISASSEMBLY AND ASSEMBLY
Nozzle Test Group
Carbon Seal Installation Tool
CAUTION: Always check the fuel injection nozzles for
leakage, opening pressure and the shape and amount of
fuel (spray pattern) coming out of the nozzles with tool
(A) before installing the nozzles in the cylinder head.
See TESTING FUEL INJECTION NOZZLES in
TESTING AND ADJUSTING.
1. Remove carbon seal dam (2) with pliers.
Remove compression seal (1).
2. Install a new compression seal on the nozzle.
Install a new carbon seal dam with tool (B).
3. Make sure the bore in the cylinder head and the
fuel inlet fittings are clean.
4. Install new O-ring seals on adapter (3) and fuel
injection nozzle (4).
5. Install the fuel injection nozzle in the head. Use
a twisting motion to push the nozzle into its
correct position. Never put lubricant on the
nozzle or bore in the cylinder head.
6. Install the adapter in the head. Connect the
nozzle and fuel injection line to the adapter.
Tighten the nuts to a torque of 30 ± 5 lb. ft. (4.1
± 0.7 mkg).
7. Install the spacer and clamp that holds the
nozzle to the cylinder head.