8. Remove bolts securing seal retainer to carrier and
Disassembly of Standard Differential
remove retainer (Fig. 62). If necessary, tap with
soft mallet to break seal between parts.
1. Match-mark case halves to insure correct
reassembly (Fig. 65). Cut lockwires that secure
differential case bolts.
NOTE: If axle assembly is equipped with NoSPIN
9. Screw two bolts in puller holes and pull bearing cage
from carrier assembly (Fig. 63). This pulls outer
pinion bearing cone from shaft. Turn each bolt
equally to pre- vent damage to carrier, shaft, or
bearings. After bearing cage is pulled out a short
distance, back off puller screws and insert .030"
shim stock under puller screws before pulling is
continued, to reduce possible dam. age to shim
2. Remove differential bolts securing case halves. Lift
pack under flange of bearing cage.
off plain case half (Fig. 66). Use soft mallet if
necessary to aid removal.
NOTE: Some differential case halves are secured
with bolts and self-locking nuts instead of bolts and
10. Remove pinion shaft assembly from carrier (Fig.
64) Remove bearing cage shims. Retain bearing
cage shim pack intact for possible reuse in
3. Remove spider, pinions, and thrust washers (Fig.