4. Stake pinion shaft ball groove in two places to retain
Reassembly of Planet Carrier
shaft (Fig. 155).
1. Coat inside of planet pinion with chassis grease to
retain pinion needle rollers. Each pinion contains a
double row of needle rollers, with a spacer between
rows. Install a row of 28 rollers, roller spacer and
another row of 28 rollers in each pinion (Fig. 152).
Reassembly of Axle Parts
1. Coat both sides of differential gasket lightly with gasket
sealer and position carefully on axle housing (Fig.
2. Position assembled pinion and two pinion thrust
washers in planet carrier, making sure tangs on thrust
washer engage the grooves in the spider (Fig. 153).
2. Position differential carrier on axle housing Fig. 157).
3. Press in pinion shaft, making sure the pinion shaft ball
recess aligns with groove in spider. Insert pinion
shaft ball and complete press (Fig. 154L) Press end
of pinion shaft flush with face of carrier.