3. Secure differential carrier to axle housing with bolts,
6. Assemble parking brake shoes and upper brake shoe
nuts, washers, and tapered dowels (Fig. 158}.
return spring. Spread shoes apart and position shoes
Tighten nuts on the four studs first, then tighten all
on brake backing in engagement with operating cam
lever and roller (Fig. 161).
bolts evenly until they are snug. Tighten all nuts and
NOTE: Some axles use bolts of several different
lengths without nuts and dowels. Determine length of
bolt required by checking thickness of differential
carrier flange and depth of mounting holes. Select
correct bolt for each position.
4. On axles which incorporate a parking brake, remove
companion flange which was temporarily installed to
facilitate hoisting differential. Position parking brake
backing plate on differential and carrier assembly and
7. Install lower brake shoe return spring with brake
spring pliers (Fig. 162).
to specified torque (Fig. 159).
5. Position brake operating cam lever and roller on
brake backing plate (Fig. 160).