8. Position parking brake drum on companion flange,
taking care to match punch marks made at
11. Slide axle shaft into position in axle housing so that
disassembly. Secure parts with bolts, nuts, and
splines engage differential side gear. Position shaft
so that end having retaining ring groove for sun gear
163). When torquing bolts, place companion flange
is toward the outside (Fig. 166).
under light pressure in press to hold assembled parts.
Do not score or distort parking brake drum by
clamping in a vise.
9. Position assembled parking brake drum and
companion flange on pinion shaft. Secure with flat
washer and companion flange nut. Torque nut to 600
ft. lbs. (Fig. 164). Install cotter pin to retain nut.
12. Position spindle on spindle support assembly (Fig.
13. Position brake spider on spindle (Fig. 168).
10. Position air chamber brackets and spacers on axle
housing; secure each bracket with two bolts and
alignment of bracket after brake camshaft is installed