Before starting the engine, familiarize yourself with
Proper engine operation and maintenance are essential to
these procedures and apply the principles to your particular
long engine life and maximum performance.
essentials for proper operation and normal periodic
maintenance are outlined in this guide. However, your
Caterpillar dealer is available for troubleshooting and/or
repairs when required.
Safety is basically common sense. There are standard
6. Observe NO SMOKING signs.
safety rules but each situation has Its own peculiarities
which cannot always be covered by rules. Therefore with
7. Do not smoke around batteries. Hydrogen gas
your experience and common sense, you are in a position
generated by charging is explosive. Keep batteries
to do something about safety. Lack of attention to safety
in a well ventilated area.
can result in: accidents, personal injury, reduction of
8. Do not wear loose clothing around machinery.
efficiency and worst of all - loss of life. Watch for safety
hazards. Correct deficiencies promptly.
9. Be sure the engine room is properly ventilated.
10. Always disconnect and tape the ground battery
Use the following safety precautions as a general guide
lead before working on the electrical system.
to safe operation.
11. All electrical equipment must be
according to local building ordinances.
1. Never adjust or repair a machine while It is In
12. Be sure an automatic tart-stop system is
inoperative when the engine or generator Is being
2. Remove all tools and electrical cords before
Disconnect and tape the ground
3. Keep the engine room and floor area clean.
4. Store oily rags in containers,
5. Never store flammable liquids near the engine.
Remember, safety Is everyone's business,
INSTALL GUARDS ON ALL EXPOSED ROTATING COMPONENTS