ENGINE JACKET WATER
CHECKING COOLANT LEVEL
instructions included with the cleaner.
Check coolant level with the engine cool and stopped:
1. Slowly loosen the filler cap and release
The cooling system can be cleaned using oxalic acid
and sodium carbonate as follows:
1. Fill the cooling system with a solution
consisting of one pound of oxalic acid or
sodium bisulphate (NaHSO4) with every 5
Be careful if engine is warm; steam may
gallons of water (mix 0.4 kg. with every 10
spray. Avoid being burned.
liters of water).
2. Push downward and turn the cap until it is
2. Start the engine and operate at operating
temperatures for 1/2 to 1 hour.
3. Maintain coolant level to within 1/2 inch (1 cm)
3. Stop the engine and drain the cooling system.
below bottom of fill pipe. The coolant will
4. Flush the system with clean water until the
expand as it is heated.
draining water is clear.
4. Make-up coolant must be one of the following:
5. Install all drain plugs.
a. Permanent anti-freeze and water solution.
6. Fill with a solution consisting of 1/2 pound of
b. Drinkable water and rust inhibitor solution.
For emergencies, and only as a "temporary
sodium carbonate crystals (Na2CO3, 10H20)
fix" until the cooling system can be
with every 10 gallons of water (mix 0.06 kg
returned to either (a) or (b), use either:
with every 10 liters of water).
c. Drinkable water.
7. Start and run the engine for 10 minutes.
d. Any available water.
8. Stop the engine and drain the cooling system.
"Drinkable water" is clean water that is low in scale
9. Flush the cooling system with clean water.
forming minerals - not softened water. Never add
10. Install all drain plugs.
coolant to an overheated engine; allow it to cool first.
FILLING COOLING SYSTEM
Check specific gravity of anti-freeze solution
1. Add anti-freeze, if required.
frequently in cold weather to assure adequate
2. Fill to correct level with coolant which is free as
possible from scale forming minerals. Do not
use softened water.
3. Start and run engine for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the radiator cap and check the coolant
Add coolant slowly to a hot engine to
prevent possible cracking or distorting the
5. Add coolant, if needed, until coolant level is
within 1/2 inch (1 cm) below bottom of the filler
6. Install the radiator cap.
Whenever it is necessary to drain the cooling system
Most commercial antifreeze solutions contain rust
inhibitors, however, it is recommended the adding of
1. Remove the filler cap.
Caterpillar Coolant System Conditioner to glycol base
2. Open the drain valve for the radiator.
antifreeze if protection is for temperatures above -20°F
(-29°C). If protection is for temperatures -20°F (-20°C)
DRAINING COMPLETE COOLING SYSTEM
or below, do not add conditioner. Follow instructions
given on the container.
Drain the radiator; see the topics above.
Remove front cover drain plug.
Remove both engine block drain plugs.
Remove the oil cooler coolant drain plug.
Remove the coolant; then install all drain
Inhibitor contains alkali. Avoid contact
with eyes. Avoid prolonged or repeated
FLUSHING COOLING SYSTEM
contact with skin.
To clean the cooling system, any good commercial
radiator cleaning solution can be used. Follow the