COLD WEATHER BATTERY MAINTENANCE
Use starting aids as instructed when starting.
Use booster batteries as required. Connect as
The following instructions aid in obtaining maximum
performance in cold weather:
1. After adding make-up water, charge the
CONNECTING A BOOSTER BATTERY
The added water will dilute the
1. Using a pair of jumper cables, connect the red
electrolyte. This will lower the specific gravity
jumper cable to the "hot" terminal of the 12
of the solution, raise the freezing point of the
Volt booster battery.
solution and lower the charge of the battery.
2. Connect the black jumper cable to the ground
terminal of the booster battery.
Keep the red and black cable terminals from
touching each other.
Connect the other end of the red jumper cable
to the "hot" terminal of the engine battery.
Connect the other end of the black jumper
cable to the ground terminal of the engine
Start the engine using starting aids as
REMOVING JUMPER CABLES
As soon as the engine starts:
CHARGING THE BATTERY
1. Disconnect the black jumper cable from the
engine battery ground terminal.
Keep the batteries fully charged either by
2. Disconnect the red jumper cable from the
operating the charging system or by using a
engine battery "hot" terminal.
3. Disconnect the black jumper cable from the
Keep the electrolyte warm when the battery is
not in use. The heat from an electric light bulb
4. Disconnect the red jumper cable from the
usually is sufficient.
5. Disconnect the booster batteries. Charge them
to full capacity with a battery charger.
Do not lay cloth or any flammable material
in contact with a lighted bulb. Charring, or
fire, can result.