CAUTION: DO NOT CRANK THE ENGINE FOR MORE THAN 30 SECONDS AT A TIME. ALLOW TWO
MINUTES BETWEEN ATTEMPTS IF ENGINE FAILS TO START.
(1) Disengage the clutch and move the throttle knob to idle position (clockwise).
(2) Turn ignition switch (key switch) to the ON position (clockwise).
(3) Hold start-run switch in the START (up) position while pressing starter button with the other hand.
Immediately release the starter button when the engine starts.
(4) Continue to hold start-run switch in the START position until oil pressure gage reads above 15 psi,
then release switch. Engine should remain running. If not, repeat steps 1-4.
CAUTION: DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE AT CURB IDLE (625 RPM) FOR MORE THAN TEN MINUTES OR
ENGINE MAY BE DAMAGED.
(5) Adjust throttle knob by turning counterclockwise until rpm reads 1000. Allow engine to run (3-5
minutes) until temperature gage reads above 140 F before applying load.
(6) Observe all instruments and gages for proper operating ranges.
NORMAL READINGS ON GAGES
Engine Coolant Temperature
Above 35 psi
(7) After warm-up, engage clutch and adjust throttle up to the operational speed as marked on the
tachometer by paint or tape. The engine rpm should be above 1450 rpm, and not more than 1800 rpm.
Figure 29. Starting the engine.