Figure 2-16. Jaw crusher operation.
Section V. OPERATION UNDER UNUSUAL CONDITIONS
solution into the radiator, observe these precautions.
2-13. Operation in Extreme Cold
(1) Drain the cooling system by opening all cocks.
(2) Drain and flush the radiator with clean water.
a. General. Special precautions must be taken when
(3) inspect the entire system for leaks. Make sure all
operating the jaw crusher in extremely cold weather. As
clamps are tight and the drain cocks closed.
temperatures drop below the freezing point metal and
(4) Add anti-freeze as necessary. Refer to TM 750-
rubber parts become more brittle ad a minor shock or jar
651 when filling the radiator with anti-freeze solution.
may cause them to crack or break. Warm the engine
d. Electrical System.
slowly and start operation in low engine speed. Apply all
(1) Keep the batteries fully charged at all times.
controls carefully so that none are forced.
(2) Keep all wiring connections and battery terminals
tight and free from ice and snow.
(3) In extreme cold remove the batteries and place in
Personnel should use care to keep
a heated shelter when not in use.
from spilling fuel, coolant or other
e. Controls and Instruments. Due to congealing
liquids upon themselves. Exposed
properties of the lubricants in cold weather, operation of
parts of the body should not come in
controls may be sluggish when first used. Do not force
contact with metal during cold
levers in an attempt to put them in operation. Allow the
weather, as serious and painful injury
engine to warm up slowly. This will allow the lubricants to
f. Fuel System. Keep the fuel tanks full at all times to
minimize consideration. If water is noted in the fuel
(1). Refer to the Lubrication Order for special
supply, drain and refill with clean fuel.
lubricants to use below -10 F.
(2) Oil may require changing more frequently than
(1) Keep return roll idler and pulleys free of ice and
information will increase under cold weather operation
c. Cooling Systems. Before pouring anti-freeze