front of the engine base. The cooling system should be
3-8. By Pass Oil Filter Element
filled with clean soft water and a good rust inhibitor.
a. General. The oil by-pass filter element should be
b. Inspect and Clean.
changed every time the engine oil is changed. The by-
(1) Drain cooling system.
pass oil filter is located on the upper right side of the
(2) Remove dirt, scale and other deposits.
(3) Check core tubes for leaks.
(4) Refill with clean soft water. Refer to TB ORD 651.
remove the by-pass oil filter element. Discard the
element and seals.
3-10. Fan Assembly and Fan Belts
c. Cleaning and Inspection.
a. General. Fan blades must be sufficient distance
(1) Wash the shell thoroughly with fuel oil and dry.
from the radiator core to ensure the blades will not
(2) Inspect the shell for cracks.
damage the core.
(3) Inspect the cover for cracks or damage.
b. Inspection. Inspect the fan assembly for loose or
d. Filter Element Replacement.
(1) Install a new element in shell.
c. Belt Replacement. Refer to figure 3-3 and replace
(2) Install a new gasket in recess of the cover.
a defective belt.
(3) Place shell and element in position with cover.
d. Belt Adjustment.
Use a new gasket over the shell bolt.
(4) With the shell and gasket in position, tighten the
shell bolt to prevent oil leakage.
belt to 1/2 to 3/4 inch deflection midway between pulleys.
(5) Start engine and check for oil leaks.
to 1/2 to 3/4 inch deflection midway between pulleys.
a. General. The radiator assembly is bolted to the