Section I. SERVICE UPON RECEIPT OF EQUIPMENT
(2) When the unit is received with new dry-
2-1. Inspection and Servicing Equipment
charge batteries, and electrolyte is packed separately,
a. Inspecting New Equipment.
perform the following services:
(1) Make a complete visual inspection to make
sure the required tools, repair parts, and publications are
with the equipment.
Use care when filling the batteries with
(2) Inspect the roll crusher unit for missing items
electrolyte to prevent splashing or spilling
or damage that may have occurred during loading,
the acid on clothing and body.
shipping or unloading.
(3) Inspect wiring, fuel and oil lines, radiator and
Do not smoke or use open flame in the
hoses, fuel tank, gages and instruments and lights for
vicinity, because batteries generate ex-
missing items and broken, loose or damaged parts.
plosive gas during charging.
(4) Inspect the drain plugs, filler caps and drain
(a) Remove the battery box cover and filler
cocks to be sure they are secured and not leaking or
(b) Pour electrolyte into each battery cell to a
(5) Inspect the air brake hoses, tires and
depth of % inch above the separators.
electrical leads for cuts, breaks, cracks or signs of
(c) Install the filler caps and battery box
(6) Inspect fire extinguishers for broken seals or
(d) Connect positive terminal cable to starter
damage. Replace if seal is broken or if fire extinguisher
(e) Connect negative terminal cable to
b. Servicing News Equipment.
(1) Perform the necessary daily preventive
Figure 2-1. Battery cable connection.