block. An insert located in the cylinder block allows true
d. Reassembly and Installation
alignment of the cylinder liner.
Lubricating oil is
(1) Reassemble cylinder block in the reverse
distributed to all moving parts of the engine through
of the numerical sequence as illustrated on figure 3".
drilled passages in the cylinder block.
b. Removal and Disassembly.
(1) Remove the crankshaft and main
(2) Disassemble the cylinder block in the
c. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair
(1) Clean all parts with an approved cleaning
solvent and dry thoroughly.
(2) Check top surface of cylinder block for
flatness. The top surface limits should not exceed 0.003
inch transversely and 0.007 inch longitudinally.
Machine cylinder block as necessary.
Cylinder block machining operations
must be performed by an adequately
equipped shop and fully trained
(3) Measure cylinder block bores. Refer to
table 1 for correct dimensions. Replace cylinder liners
the bore is more than specified in table 1.
(4) Refer to table 1 for allowable tolerances
and clearances. Machine or replace a defective cylinder
(5) Check block thoroughly for cracks and
corrosion signs of leaking or damage. Repair or replace
Figure 29-1. Fan and hub assembly, removal and
a defective cylinder block.
(6) Inspect all oil and water passages to
make sure they are open.