Figure 2-19. Operating crushing and screen unit
Section V. OPERATION UNDER UNUSUAL CONDITIONS
c. Cooling Systems. Before pouring antifreeze
2-20. Operation in Extreme Cold
solution into the radiator, observe these pre- cautions.
a. General. Special precautions must be taken
(1) Drain the cooling system by opening all
when operating the Crushing and Screening Unit in
extremely cold weather. As temperatures drop below the
(2) Drain and flush the radiator with clean water.
freezing point, metal and rubber parts become more
(3) Inspect the entire system for leaks. Make
brittle and a minor shock or jar may cause them to crack
sure all clamps are tight and the drain cocks closed.
or break. Warm the engine slowly and start operation at
(4) Add antifreeze as necessary. Refer to TM
low speed. Apply all controls carefully so that none are
750-651 when filling the radiator with anti- freeze
d. Electrical System.
Personnel should use care to keep from
(1) Keep the batteries fully charged at all times.
spilling fuel, coolant or other liquids upon
(2) Keep all wiring connections and battery
themselves. Exposed parts of the body
terminals tight and free from ice and snow.
should not come in contact with metal during
(3) In extreme cold remove the batteries and
cold weather, as serious and painful injury
place in a heated shelter when not in use.
e. Controls and Instruments. Due to congealing
properties of the lubricants in cold weather, operation of
(1) Refer to the Lubrication Order for special
controls may be sluggish when first used. Do not force
lubricants to use below -10F
levers in an attempt to put them in operation. Allow the
(2) Oil may require changing more frequently
engine to warm up slowly. This will allow the lubricants
formation will increase under cold weather operation