(2) Inspect the cover adapter (13) for cracks or
4-22. By-Pass Lubricating Oil Filter
(3) Inspect the mounting hardware.
by-pass filter element.
the bypass oil filter.
the by-pass oil filter.
bypass oil filter element.
(1) Inspect the shell (3) for cracks or damage.
Figure 4-12. By-pass oil filter, disassembly and reassembly.
engine. A centrifugal type water pump driven from the
4-23. Lubricating Oil Lines
blower, circulates the engine coolant through the lubricating
a. General. Lubricating oil circulated by the gear type
oil cooler, cylinder block, cylinder head and water outlet
pressure pump flows through the various components such
manifold. Refer to TM 750-651 for flushing cooling system
as the oil cooler, by pass and full flow filter and pressure
4-25. Water Manifold
b. Inspection and Repair.
(1) Check for proper oil level. Never allow oil level
(1) Drain cooling system.
to drop below "low" mark on dipstick.
(2) Change oil and oil filter as recommended by
current lubrication order.
(3) Inspect tubing for breaks, cracks or restrictions.
(1) Inspect the manifold for cracks or damage.
Inspect attaching hardware for stripped hardware.
(2) Inspect attaching hardware for broken or
(4) Replace any damaged parts.
missing parts. Replace a defective part.
immediate attention if contaminated by anti-
freeze solution or other soluble material.
(2) Fill the cooling system to proper level.
4-24. Cooling System
A radiator and fan cooling system is used on this