(5) The current regulator is a current limiting
device which prevents the generator from exceeding its
Polarize the generator after leads are
connected but before the engine is
remove the generator regulator.
reverse order of removal.
Figure 4-24. Generator regulator, removal and installation.
and battery box.
4-39. Polarizing the Generator
b. Cleaning, Inspection and Repair.
a. Connect a jumper lead momentarily between the
(1) Clean batteries, cables and battery box in an
regulation battery and the armature terminals.
approved solvent (NaHCO3) (sodium bicarbonate).
b. Insulate brushes from commutator to avoid
(2) Inspect the batteries for cracks, leaks or
excess current through the armature.
Replace a defective battery as
Failure to polarize the generator may
(3) Inspect the cables for frayed insulation,
result in burned or stuck cut out relay
broken wires, bent or broken lugs, and other damage.
contacts in the regulator, along with
Repair or replace damaged cables as necessary.
damage to the generator windings and
(4) Inspect the battery box for cracks, breaks or
other damage. Repair or replace a damaged battery box
4-40. Batteries, Cables and Battery Box
(1) Install the battery box, batteries and cable in
the reverse procedure.