ENGINE JACKET WATER
FLUSHING COOLING SYSTEM
CHECKING COOLANT LEVEL
To clean the cooling system, any good commercial
Check coolant level with the engine cool and stopped:
radiator cleaning solution can be used. Follow the
instructions included with the cleaner.
1. Slowly loosen the filler cap and release pressure.
The cooling system can be cleaned using oxalic
acid and sodium carbonate as follows:
Be careful if engine is warm; steam may
spray. Avoid being burned.
1. Fill the cooling system with a solution consisting of
one pound of oxalic acid or sodium bisulfate
2. Push downward and turn the cap until it is released.
(NaHSO4) with every 5 gallons of water (mix 0,24 kg.
3. Maintain coolant level to within 1/2 inch (1 cm)
with every 10 liters of water).
below bottom of fill pipe. The coolant will expand as
2. Start the engine and operate at operating
it is heated.
temperatures for 1/2 to 1 hour.
4. Make-up coolant must be one of the following:
3. Stop the engine and drain the cooling system.
Permanent anti-freeze and water solution.
4. Flush the system with clean water until the draining
Drinkable water and rust inhibitor solution.
water is clear.
5. Install all drain plugs.
For emergencies, and only as a "temporary fix" until the
6. Fill with a solution consisting of 1/2 pound of sodium
cooling system can be returned to either (a) or (b), use
carbonate crystals (Na2CO3, 10H20) with every 10
gallons of water (mix 0,06 kg with every 10 liters of
7. Start and run the engine for 10 minutes.
Any available water.
8. Stop the engine and drain the cooling system.
9. Flush the cooling system with clean water.
"Drinkable water" is clean water that is low in scale
10. Install all drain plugs.
forming minerals - not softened water. Never add
coolant to an overheated engine; allow it to cool first.
FILLING COOLING SYSTEM
Check specific gravity of anti-freeze solution
1. Add anti-freeze, if required.
frequently in cold weather to assure adequate
2. Fill to correct level with coolant which is free as
possible from scale forming minerals. Do not use
3. Start and run engine for 10 minutes.
Add coolant slowly to a hot engine to
4. Remove the radiator cap and check the coolant
prevent possible cracking or distorting the
5. Add coolant, if needed, until coolant level is within
1/2 inch (1 cm) below bottom of the filler tube.
6. Install the radiator cap.
Whenever it is necessary to drain the cooling
system for repairs:
Most commercial antifreeze solutions contain rust
inhibitors, however, it is recommended the adding of
1. Remove the filler cap.
Caterpillar Coolant System Conditioner to glycol base
2. Open the drain valve for the radiator.
antifreeze if protection is for temperatures above -20°F
(-29°C). If protection is for temperatures -20°F (-20°C)
DRAINING COMPLETE COOLING SYSTEM
or below, do not add conditioner. Follow instructions
given on the container.
Drain the radiator; see the topics above.
Remove front cover drain plug.
Remove both engine block drain plugs.
Remove the oil cooler coolant drain plug.
Inhibitor contains alkali. Avoid contact
Remove the coolant; then install all drain plugs.
with eyes. Avoid prolonged or repeated
contact with skin.