When tensioning V-belts it is necessary to keep belts
aligned in a parallel position between the pulleys. Most
belt failures result from improper installation,
from improper service.
(3) Remove V-belt from grooves.
Never force belts over grooves with a tool.
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Inspect all parts of the drive unit and wipe
(2) Check drive belts for oil deposits and remove
oil with recommended solvent.
(3) Inspect V-belts for cracking or wear and
replace if necessary.
(4) Check pulley grooves for wear.
(1) Move adjustment to obtain minimum center
(3) Install V-belt guard.
4-56. V-Belt Adjustments
a. Countershaft to Head Pulley. Adjust the torque
arm to correct belt tension on head pulley to counter-
b. Countershaft to Power Unit.
(2) Turn adjusting screw to increase or decrease
belt tension from countershaft to power unit.
(3) Tighten jam nuts.
Figure 4-47. V-belt installation.