d. Generator Brush Replacement.
4-36. Electrical System
(1) Loosen screw and slide cover band for- ward.
a. The DC battery-charging circuits consist of a
(2) Remove brush terminal screw, lift brush arm
generator, regulator, battery and wiring. Refer to figure
and remove brush. Repeat for other brushes.
1-3 for wiring diagram. These components functioning
(3) Lift brush arm and install new brush. Secure
together, produce current for the electrical equipment on
lead with screw. Repeat for other brushes, always
the machine, except for the marker lamps, which are
replace complete set.
only used when prime mover is towing the crusher (fig.
(4) Seat brushes using a seating hone or No. 00
or improper operation
it is essential
the entire electrical system. A defect in one component
(5) Position cover band and tighten screw.
can cause damage to another.
Polarize generator as instructed in paragraph
4-39 before starting engine.
generator fan belts.
(1) Inspect for cracked or broken housing.
(2) Inspect electrical receptacle connector and
elbow for cracked or broken position.
(3) Check brushes for excessive wear.
c. Installation. Install generator in reverse order of
Figure 4-23. Generator brush replacement.
4-38. Generator Regulator
(1) The generator regulator is a water- tight,
3. Fan and pulley assembly 14.
dust proof, fungus and corrosion resistant unit. This unit
is used only with generators having an externally
grounded field circuit.
(2) The three unit regulator consists of a cutout
relay, a voltage regulator and a current regulator
mounted in a single assembly.
(3) The cutout relay is designed to close the
circuit from the generator to the battery when generator
voltage is sufficient to charge the battery, and to open
the circuit when the generator slows or stops.
Figure 4-22. Generator, removal and installation.