3208 INDUSTRIAL AND MARINE ENGINES
DISASSEMBLY AND ASSEMBLY
ASSEMBLE ROCKER SHAFTS
1. Make sure the oil hole, in the rocker arms,
rocker shaft, and bracket are clean and free of
all dirt and foreign material.
2. Measure the bore of the bushing in each of the
rocker arms. The bore must be .8603 : .0008
in. (21.852 ± 0.020
mm), The maximum
permissible bore is .8630 in. (21.920 mm).
NOTE: Make a replacement of the arm and bushing as
a unit if the bore is not correct. The arms and bushings
can not be ordered separately.
3. Measure the diameter of the shaft at each of the
rocker arm locations. The diameter must be
.8580 to .8588 in. (21.793 to 21.814 mm). The
minimum permissible diameter is .8570 in.
4. Install screws (3) into rocker arms (4). Turn the
screws until they are .44 in. (11.2 mm) below
the bottom of the rocker arms.
5. Install the rocker arms and washers (2) on the
shaft as shown.
6. Put the shaft and rocker arms in position on
bracket (1) with screws (3) on the same side as
the oil hole on the bottom of the bracket.
7. Make sure the flat surfaces (5) on the shaft (6)
are turned up. Install the washers, locks, and
bolts. Tighten the bolts to a torque of 18 ± 5 lb.
ft. (2.5 ± 0.7 mkg),
a) install rocker shafts and push rods